How can I send encrypted and signed email or message to my other iPhone recipients?
- Your and recipients’ iPhone must have been updated to iOS 5 or above.
- Email account has been configured and working within your device.
- Certificate has been installed in your device keychain.
Objective: Recipient can receive encrypted and signed email or message from you, and can verify your identity as the sender.
Now please see the detailed steps to send signed and encrypted email or message to recipient.
Step 1: Configure your Email account with S/MIME.
1. Open Settings – Mail, Contacts, Calendars in your iPhone.
2. Click on the type of Account where you email address is. It should be Microsoft Exchange account.
3. On the Exchange Account screen, select the Account that you wish to configure S/MIME.
4. When you are at the Account screen, scroll to the bottom and chooseAdvanced Settings.
5. In the S/MIME sections, turn on Sign and Encrypt in S/MIME. The Sign and Encrypt options will become available.
Sign: Enabling Sign in the S/MIME section will digitally sign every email that you send out from your device.
Encrypt: Enabling Encrypt in the S/MIME section will attempt to encrypt every email that you send out from your device providing that you have a copy of the recipient's certificate either saved on your device or from GAL (Global Access List).
Step 2: Install certificate in your device.
This can be discussed how to do in two situations according to the recipients where they are.
1. When the recipient is in the same Exchange account environment like you, iOS will receive the necessary certificate for message encryption.
2. When the recipient is out of Exchange account environment you are, you should turn to install the certificate which is gotten from recipient message.
- Step 1: Open an encrypted message the recipient has sent to you.
- Step 2: Click on recipient account and install recipient's certificate.
Step 3: Choose recipient and send a signed and encrypted email.
1. Choose File > New Message, move the pointer over the From field, click the pop-up menu that appears, then choose the account for which you have a personal certificate in your keychain.
2. Write a message and choose recipient email accounts that have been certificated.
3. Click Send button to take the encrypted and signed message to recipients.
If the message is signed and encrypted, the lock icon and checkmark should be in the message header. And Encrypt icon appears next to the Signed icon. Make sure and send encrypted and signed message to recipient.
Tips: If you don’t have a certificate for every recipient, you must send your message unencrypted. Click the Encrypt icon to replace the closed lock icon with an open lock icon.